Sunday, June 19, 2011

Update 1.0

It's been quite a while since I've been able to write properly. Nose-deep in work and interviews and whatnot..the crazy roller-coaster that Waterloo is, has definitely taken a toll on my blog. So an update of sorts is in order.
a) As of September 2011 I shall be working as a Research Assistant at the lab of Dr. Andras Nagy at Mount Sinai Hospital in Toronto. The work involves a Cre-X-Mice database and stem cell research. This is awesome on so many levels that it is hard to know where to begin. Working with the team of a world renowned scientist who's been on the Scientific American Top Ten Honor Roll with the likes of Barack Obama and Bill Gates may just be the cherry on top of a potentially degenerative disease curing- ice-cream sundae.
Living in friggin Toronto! More and more, I'm starting to view Canada as a foreign vacation spot. This may have something to do with the fact that I'm not stuck inside my 2 by 4 room all day anymore, heh.
b) I went to my first music festival this weekend- the Burlington Sound of Music. A ton of really great Canadian artists and bands turned up including Ladies of the Canyon, Tokyo Police Club and Hollerado. Men Without Hats, in case you've heard of the Safety Dance. First official staying over for the weekend at non desi house. Meeting the fam and everything.
Highlight- my friend's adorable huge ass black border collie, Ringo who would Not stop sticking his face into my crotch. WHY do dogs do that? Very loud phone conversation with my brother while my friend was in the kitchen, preparing pancakes for me and totally heard him go , "So have the maple leaf people lynched you yet? Are you sleeping in the maid's room? But...they're white!" Steak sauce and barbeque, touching a GORGEOUS yellow python. We were walking down the street for the street festival and spotted these two hefty tattoed bearded men walking along with snakes curled on their arm. Ran after them and they allowed us to stroke their snakes. I'd always thought that snakes would feel slimy and clammy but they felt soft and leathery. I definitely want a snake as a pet now. Mmm...hippie lady at the carnival giving us sage advice about life in general and selling recycled shorts- they're stitched together from bits of upholstery, t-shirts, couches, pants etc. I absolutely LOVED the idea and wanted to get them, but in light of my recent revelation- which is that I have far too many clothes and I shouldn't be wasting money on any more when so many people have nothing; I now only spend money on food and education- I stayed strong and didn't buy any (I definitely botched up the punctuation on that sentence). Anyway, so Linds got inspired and bought hippie shorts much to the horror of her family, especially her preppy mum who kept going "Oh Lindsey!" She's normally a very put together preppy kinda girl herself so when she whipped out her Parisian beret thing, her dad very nearly had a fit. Heh, my work was done.
c) In related lame news, I seem to have built up my tolerance for alcohol. Vodka shots do nothing whatsoever to put me in 'high spirits' but I wake up the morning after with a hangover. WTF
d) I've started volunteering at the Cancer Centre of the KW Hospital, and I feel great about it. I think it's one of the few unselfish things I've done in my life, and I feel GREAT about it. Interacting with older folks who are so weak and helpless, and suffering from everything from hemorrhages to cancer, and being able to brighten their day or help them out even a smidge, makes me feel like I'm doing something worthwhile. Mum thinks it's going to be emotionally heavy, but I plan to keep at it for now at least.
e) I'm trying to come up with an alternative to printing out lecture slides and annotating them. The sheer wastefulness of it all really horrifies me, and I'm kinda sure that UW alone is responsible for deforesting a couple forests each year. Please- suggestions if any. Dragging your laptop to class is one- which I do- but it's impossible to do it for chem cuz of the graphs and equations etc.
f) I love my best friends. Really.
g) I'm going to Calcutta very very soon! August 11th to be precise. :D :D :D

Now that my hell week of midterms is over....I have more coming up .....aargh. There's more to say but I feel like I've bored y'all enough with mundane details. My writing's kinda fallen by the wayside now. Have a good week. Love and luck and peace to y'all

2 comments:

Joselle said...

You could get a tablet. Not the iPad kind, the ones that graphic artists use to draw digitally. You'd then have to bring your laptop AND the tablet though. I was actually considering getting one myself, until I realized I don't even attend classes that require it anymore xD

And where in Toronto are you working, exactly? We could totally hang!

R said...

You're still in Biochem! And tablets work, but that's not very sustainable right? You can't expect everyone to buy a tablet. Damn, this is hard!
P.S- We missed you! I sent you a drunk text saying something about having shots with you lol
And I don't know where Mount Sinai is exactly, BUT HANGOUTS WOULD BE AWESOME! You can show me all the cool places