Sunday, March 20, 2011

Monsoon Wedding is full of all kinds of awesome. You cannot Help dancing in your head and in your seat when Aaja nachle ni nachle comes on. Catch me if you can is also a recent favorite. And while we're on culture, Room by Emma Donoghue is pretty damn brilliant. I've never come across a more endearing or loveable protagonist in my life. Meltedy spoon is now my new favourite word. I may just even call my first born that, just for the pleasure of saying it aloud often. Downtown Guelph is full of all sorts of cool stuff. Went exploring with Ma today instead of sitting at home eating and zoning out on House like the usual. Came across these freaking awesome boho/ hippie/ hemp shops with feathers and printed dresses, pretty bags and buddhas and incense. Harmony has THE most fantabulous dresses but at 38 dollars you've gotta be either Blair Waldorf or very very generous with your money. Me being neither and still possessed by the urge to go boho, I went on my first consignment store shopping expedition. Wild Rose turned out to be a complete disaster. The clothes were odd, shiny and fluorescent. Utterly unattractive, and the place itself was dingy and shabby. The only happy customer I saw there was this black chick with a wonderful Jamaican accent who positively Preened in a shiny green horror of a dress. She's going to wear it to the formal, God help her. From there went on to discover Meow. So as I'm entering, I see that the door is pink and has pink cats on it. I enter and I'm greeted by this Victorian teashop atmosphere- stuffy and full of pink cats reminiscent of Umbridge's study from Harry Potter. BUT I swallowed my distaste and climbed down the stairs....into wonderland. I kid you not. It has the most Beautiful collection of dresses and skirts and tops. I touched the tip of the iceberg today and came away with one gorgeous red and white spring dress that I cannot wait to wear. It has these hideous white ribbony things holding it up but I'm going to tie it up as a halter, and voila- problem solved. Yes, my inventiveness amazes me too. Other discoveries- one Wong's Diner which sells an obscenely huge lunch combo with egg roll, chicken chow mein, chicken fried rice and sweet and sour pork, all for the low price of 4.89. I don't get it. HOW? And WHY? Also Ma took me to Bookshelf which was quite wonderful.  I want this graphic novel, Blanket. It's supposed to be seminal, and I really loved the cover . Also Scar Tissue and The Handmaid's Tale. Not enough money, but I'm going back to Meow very very soon. My heart bleeds when I buy clothes instead of books but Ma keeps reminding me of the bookshelf in Calcutta which is barely holding itself together under the weight of all the dusty books. I despise ebooks, and I can't watch any more movies tonight. Julie and Julia and MW have filled my quota for the night. I think I'm going to hit the sack. It's 5.36 am and it's Sunday tomorrow. I can lie in bed reading The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett. Goodnight world.

3 comments:

Shahana said...

I am jealous.
Very very jealous.

Tangled up in blue... said...

Why cant I have days like this one? I know why. Becoz I spend twelve hours every day in the emergency room! :D

R said...

@Shy- bwahaha did you ever think you'd actually get to use that phrase?
@Tuib- weekend, my child. Weekend ;p Though I must say, emergency room sounds fun man