Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I yam what I yam

I have a shameful confession: I really love this movie.


I know. I know it's clichéd and stereotypical and predictable and over the top melodramatic and flawed in so many ways. I know, I really do. But. It's SO full of life, and colour, and laughter and makes me sob like a little baby/ menstruating angsty teenager high on cheap booze and one box too many of cookies on a bad day. It's pretty much the peak of masala. Shahrukh was my first ever human crush (he was preceded by Simba- yes that one from Lion King- and Johnny Quest). Ever since I was a child of about 9 growing up on The Brothers Grimm and watching him on Kuch Kuch Hota Hain, 'Rahul' captured my imagination and occupied my day-dreams. For some reason they always involved him riding on a bicycle beside the window of my car. I realize this makes no sense, but what can ya do?
Looking back, I'm having a eureka moment. Methinks my weakness for dimples can be traced back to SRK. Shame on you , SRK, for leading me to make questionable choices.
Anyway, stuff like this is the reason that I know I'll never really be cool. I'll never be one of those people sipping on a beer in a trippy kaftan and oversized glasses talking about my exclusive love for Spike Jonze films. Don't get me wrong- I like what would be called 'the right films' and I read the 'right books' and listen to the 'right music'. "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" is one of my favourite movies, I nurture a deep and abiding love for The Beatles, Pink Floyd and Iron & Wine, I loved Fahrenheit 451 and 1984. You get the picture.
But also,  I genuinely love Bollywood movies- they make me happy. I realize that my reality will never be like that; nor would I want it to. In real life, if a boy came up to me and started spewing dialogues while gazing deep into my eyes, I feel like I'd  either laugh hysterically or do an awkward eye-shuffle. But it's nice to watch.A good masala film or a Koffee with Karan episode can cure my blue moods, listening to Bahara fulfills my intense craving for mere desh ki dharti, and I firmly believe that a cure to 'most all minor ills is a good Bollywood dance number. Does this embarrass me? Kinda. Am I going to stay in the closet about this and make snarky comments about Bollywood movies? No.
The older I grow, the less I care about what people think. I like this growing up thing- it's nice to fit into your own skin, without apology. 

7 comments:

Tangled up in blue... said...

I dont like this particular movie but I absolutely LOVE Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. I mean, how perfect is Rahul - he's a confused, wannabe cool but mostly nice college dude who goes to also goes to the temple every Tuesday. He wants to have a hot girlfriend but loses his heart to a girl because she sings "Om Jai Jagdish Hare" I mean, really! He's the best of both worlds!

How can one not fall for that stuff? The Bollywood filminess is a very "apna" thing. Like when we make fun of the over-the-top storylines and the ridiculously funny dancing, it's okay but when this Brit observer in medicine did it, I was sorta fuming at him. Very hypocritical, I know. But you know, it's ours, we secretly love it so we make fun of it. I dont like it when others do it all mean-spiritedly.

And I agree. There is nothing wrong with loving Spike Jonse AND Karan Johar. They both are entertaining in VERY different ways. :)

R said...

Arre now you've made me want to watch Kuch Kuch Hota Hain again. I think a lot of this has to do with nostalgia also. It reminds you of a time when things were simple and life was less full of complexities and nuance. Bollywood tends to make everything glossy and simple.
Speaking of which- Kolaveri! =D

Whuaat? said...

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGG! I LOVE THAT MOVIE TOO. I'M SO EXCITED HENCE THE CAPS :D

*calms down*

You're one of the very very very few people who actually likes K3G! And I'm so glad I came acorss this post of yours. I found myself nodding on every line of that post!

'A good masala film or a Koffee with Karan episode can cure my blue moods ..' - SERIOUSLY!

And the last few lines ..were love!

R said...

hahaha yeah, there are woefully few people who understand my enthusiasm for it. glad to see you're one of us mad ones.
thank you very much :)

Tangled up in blue... said...

Kolaveri is DA SHIT! Hahahaha too funny it is da! :D And I agree, it must be the nostalgia factor. Because the new ones, like Mere Brother ki Dulhan just do not do anything for me. :D

R said...

oh dear god. i just KNEW that i wouldn't like the movie from the instant i saw the trailer. and katrina kaif. i have something against her- i can't stand her for some reason. probably petty jealousy, but give me konkana sen-sharma anyday

Tangled up in blue... said...

No it's not just that. There's this scene in the movie where she does this drunk impersonation of the iconic Dharmendra "soocide" from Sholay which was probably supposed to be really funny but it was way too meta for me. Like, a bad actress pretending to be a bad actress under the influence of alcohol.

And I keep imagining how different a certain movie would have been with Konkona. That's what I kept doing in Love Aaj Kal.