Sunday, July 1, 2012

My transcription angst has started to manifest itself in strange ways. I am beginning to vaguely resemble my Tamil teachers back in school. I have been wandering around the house, laptop in hand, big clunky headphones and thick black glasses adorning said head, with vaguely distracted mournful air. Anyone who even attempts to talk to me is immediately met with shushing, one-handed flapping and a glare only deserved by an axe-murderer or Lady Gaga. My hair is clasped back in an ancient clip that has lost all it's teeth on one side, so it is hanging loose in that vague style that all my South India teachers would adopt back in school- I am lacking the white flowers (jasmine?) though. Yes, I am stereotyping, but what to do? I really did have such teachers. I have begun to speak in a very reasonable sounding Tamil accent (makes owner of accent sound matter of fact, but you can tell she's a decent-nice type) and I keep saying "enduhtheday".
By the enduhtoday, this shall all be over and I shall stop writing too many inane blog posts.
The second file that I have Just started has one Tamil and one Bong accented person. This should be....interesting.
Enduhtheday.

4 comments:

Tangled up in blue... said...

This begs the question, what are you transcribing exactly? :D And we all had exactly those teachers - it's like they had an assembly line - one semi-strict disciplinarian check, slightly kooky Tamil accent check, pretty-sure-they-were-jasmine flowers check, greasy but eager-to-escape-from-clip hair check!

Do they still have those, I wonder? I hope they do. It'd be a pity if my future-kid and I have no school anecdotes in common. :D

And you know what, I'm gonna make my things-I-did today list too! I just want to make it about a normal day, they're in short supply right now - so I'm gonna wait for a holiday to turn up! :)

R said...

Just do it SOON. When's the nearest holiday? We can make this into a tag. Quite an interesting slice of life type thing it could be do- like put together into indie book material. Of late, I have realized that I label things as indie way too often =/
And I was transcribing for some manufacturing company. The most boring shit ever, but it's done and now I'm rich mwahahahaha

Monidipa said...

Why did you learn Tamil at school? Ki shanghatik.

R said...

Achha that sentence could have been better phrased, I guess. I meant my teachers who were Tamilian.
Tamil shikhini. Arabic i shikhte giye dom beriye gelo.