Monday, February 28, 2011

There's always something happening

Things have been kinda mellow lately. I've been learning to cook and enjoying it. Yesterday amid conversations with Piu, wailing over superhuman Rhodes scholars and my utter lack of anything that qualifies as an official 'outdoor activity', I decided to try my hand at making deemer daalna (egg curry). It turned out to be quite edible, a beautiful reddish-yellow colour and (Gasp!) tasty at that. Inspired by my success I went on to make Achaari Chicken without oh, say 3 or 4 of the main ingredients. It wasn't as khatta as it should have been, but it was pretty damn fine- my mommy said so! Feeling very self satisfied I deposited myself in front of the computer and busied myself with checking out previous Rhodes scholar biographies and fb-chatting with Tony. A few minutes later my smug smile had slunk off with its tail between its legs and I was making hysterical declarations like "What. The...HOW can she possibly be a neurosurgeon and still have the time to open clinics in the Himalayas and go canoeing?! How does ANYBODY have the MONEY to open a clinic?!" Tony as usual was saying soothing things like " i dunno O.O" while probably watching Bleach. After frantically searching for a bit I discovered with great relief that my university has various Sports Clubs, some of which happen to be free! Apparently ballroom dancing is a sport, as is outers and parkour. I got excited about Judo and my enthusiasm was cruelly squelched, yes squelched, by Tony. He was like, "Can't you choose something that doesn't brand you as a lesbian?" After giggling incredulously for a bit I made the only logical response to this statement- "Huh? How?" According to him all that grappling in various positions is slightly suspect. Sooo Judo's off the list.  I'm contemplating taking up running again, and perhaps ballroom dancing- if I can pluck up the courage to inflict myself and my two left feet upon my unsuspecting partner. Yeah, that's right. I'll be a very zen athletic, cooking, cancer-centre volunteering molecular biologist.

Moral(s) of the story: Smugness is never profitable. Free will is an Enormous deal. George Orwell is a badass. There is nothing quite like listening to Devendra Banhart go spanish on your ass while Natalie Portman dances with a hairy bellied man in a Sita costume. Err Portman that is, not the man.

No comments: