Saturday, February 12, 2011

Valentine's Day

So most years for some vague conspiracy-theory reason, I'm always single on Valentine's Day. With the exception of a certain year when I was fourteen and on D-Day I picked up the phone and whispered my own version of sweet nothings to my beloved Sucky Jocky Boy.
SJB: Hey...so since yesterday I can't stop thinking about you
RGD: Oh. Um, well my mum found out about us soooo we have to break up now. Happy Valentine's daaay!
Ever since then it's been a slippery slope. Divine retribution? Oh well.
Last year I actually watched Valentine's Day on Valentine's day. Three hours later I was weeping to Piu about how pathetic my life was and how I'd always be alone, and maybe somewhere along the way get a dozen cats. Well, I have one now so the wheels have been set in motion.
Later in the day I was at a Toronto club being groped inappropriately by random mostly drunk men, who kept going up to SJB (who was valiantly trying to protect the izzat of Future Manipulative Girlfriend and I. Aww, in hindsight, poor SJB. Awkward.) Anyway so there he was balancing two girls on each arm and there they were, the men circling like sharks and occasionally surfacing to mutter things like "How's it fair ya got two?! Gimme a call when yuh done wid em!" So charming.
2009, I was "striking arrows through the heart of Would-be-knight" (this is verbatim) by confessing my inability to get over SJB despite his being a sucky jock boy doing typically sucky jock things and giving me mixed signals- sample the "Call me when you're sober episode".
2007and 2008, I was deliriously happy with SJB. A month later I was flying away-as they say- forever to India.
And before all this I was a bhalo bachha with secret cat-lady-fears and my parents were scolding me for rebelling by pulling stunts like not studying. Hahaha parents, haha.

So predictably, this year I'm single again. I had actually forgotten about it till Tony felt the need to remind of the upcoming pink day. Today I'm going out for sushi with a friend and on the actual day I have work to keep me busy. BUT it did make me want to do this for no good reason except that I felt like it:

LOVE
Hash and Anju
the wife, the spice and I

bhai
sleepovers
the only place where tess and lennon meet
baby love
grade 11and friends who made the world go round
teachers who were more
i feel the love, oh yes
summer afternoons
trisha's surprise birthday lunch- piu's cooking
an entire day spent doing nothing and quite spectacularly may i add
dubai dreams
when we were young

3 comments:

Trisha said...

complete melting love

Tangled up in blue... said...

There's so many kinds of love, isn't it? Some kinds are flamboyant and easily acknowledged. Like the heady Beatles image on the right.

Then, there's other kinds that aren't talked about all that much, but remain equally powerful. Say, Pink Floyd. ;)

R said...

Exactly. And they deserve some sort of tribute for all that they give